Re: Endangered Species

Cary Hostrawser (caryho at ix.netcom.com)
Sun, 14 Apr 1996 20:28:11 +0000 (GMT)

On 14 Apr 1996 16:37:20 GMT, Victor Elderton wrote:
>In following the discussion regarding endangered spp. and genetic diversity I
>have found it admirable how earnest folks are about this topic. As a field
>worker though I don't see how relavent it is to save one species here or
>there if its habitat or eco-system are being extinguished. My belief is that
>single species protection is only relavent if it is part of a much more
>complex habitat/eco-system protection or conservation plan.
My way or the highway?

>If this is what aquarist clubs are really interested in I applaud their
>efforts. However, since fish are their focus I'm not sure how important they
>feel it is to save insect or crustean that may unique to a particular species
>diet in the wild. There may be some unique natural complex or characteristic
>of environment that ensures a particular species survival "in situ". If we
>are not protecting the whole complex and only saving the species the animal
>is reduced to a curiosity, a rare on but, a much reduced one.
>
>Just a thought...
Aquarists can have little personal impact on the preservation of an
ecosystem outside their control. But that doesn't mean that keeping
these fish in captive breeding programs has no value. Even if some
insects or crustacea were lost in their native eco-system, these fish
would quite likely adapt to the new forms that moved into the niche.
Fish tend to be readily adaptable to this or they could never survive
in aquaria. Although the loss of any species is a tragedy that should
be avoided, developing programs to reproduce these fish could lead to
programs to help protect lower life forms.
The general public seems to only have an interest in cute and cuddly
furred or feathered animals, and few care about amphibians, reptiles
or fish. IMHO Each step taken and publicized will bring a greater
level of awareness and new people stepping forth to work at all levels
of conservation. To use a quote "All journeys begin with a single
step" and we are just beginning with baby steps in the area of captive
maintenance. This will hopefully lead to a greater involvement and
awareness of the needs of all species and their ecosystems. But to get
there, we need greater numbers of people to feel a personal stake in
the outcome. As long as most people don't feel this personal stake,
your efforts in the field will only delay the inevitable losses. Think
of what you could accomplish if the majority of the people in the
local you work in, felt a personal stake in its outcome.

Cary Hostrawser

()
/||\ Rainbowfish Study Group
/||||\ http://www.umn.edu/nlhome/m392/c-ames/maspage.htm